Saturday, August 23, 2014

Mood Ring/Forecast


In this chapter, Foster discusses the different symbolisms behind different types of weather, and how it’s never just weather, but usually a reflection of the feelings the characters have.
To be quite honest, I was surprised at all the connotations weather could have. Rain being a purifier, rainbows symbolising promise, fog representing confusion - these I already knew. But rain being a possible source of death? A rainbow considered gaudy? Or even fog meaning misery? These confounded me.
Let me explain. I’m aware that different forms of weather have similar connotations universally. Without these widely held connotations, literature would have a lot less meaning to them. I hold some of these connotations as well. But something I do often is let the weather outside guide my mood, no matter where I am. I have personal, nearly totally different definitions for some weather, too. For example, I have always preferred rain over sunshine. Rain has always been so interesting to me: it can mist, it can pitter patter quietly, it can pour hard, it can include thunder, lightning, hail, sleet, or a rainbow, or some combination of the aforementioned items. The sun can only shine. … okay, fine, there’s sunrises, sunsets, and eclipses, too. But it can still rain during any of these events, which only makes the event harder to come across/even better. It’s a really invigorating experience for me. I can’t imagine it being a source of death because of this.
It’s also interesting to me that rainbows could be considered gaudy. I was raised in a very Christian environment, so they’ve always held the traditional symbol of promise. I was conditioned to see the bright colors as a beautiful symbol of hope. I suppose the rainbow being gaudy could be a humorous and/or cynical viewpoint that I’m sure some people share. It’s a bit strange to me, but I can understand it. Perhaps for these people it means a big empty promise made public? Or it symbolises a flashy show of power without any real substance behind it? Rainbows are fragile, after all. They’re impossible under certain conditions, and they don’t last a long time either.
Something else I hold different connotations for is fog. It does sometimes symbolise confusion, but more often (for me) it feels relaxing. It gives me space to clear my head and just ponder on some things thoroughly. It also gives me the time and space to be alone, which as an introverted person, I want and need constantly. Not to mention it makes it harder for other people to search through, practically guaranteeing that they won’t find me and that I’ll have more time to recharge. That’s why I find it so weird that people associate misery with fog. I can understand not wanting to feel lonely, but there is a huge distinction between being lonely and being alone, and that being alone isn’t something to fear or worry about. Even the most outgoing extrovert needs a moment to themself.

No comments:

Post a Comment